Friday, December 14, 2007

The Time is Approaching

And I am not talking about Christmas.

I’m talking about resuming our game.

Friday January 4th is our target day.

The babies even appear to be cooperating with the schedule, which is great because it was touch and go for a couple of weeks there. I was getting a bit concerned that the magical “12th week” was a lie. Let me tell you, there’s a big difference from week 9 to week 11.

As for who is coming back to the group, I’ve heard from Aaron, Dale, and Joy with no response from Brian or Justin. But there’s still time for them to respond.

For group size, I think we’re all pretty happy with 6 people total (5 players + 1 DM). Any more can easily become a morass of opinions and slow action, while any less would leave us vulnerable to canceling too often when someone misses.

My views on 4E have really not changed for good or ill. Fluff gets a -4 and crunch gets a +1. So for the time being, my opinion of 4E can best be described as “malaise”.

There was some discussion I read that D&D might suffer from an inverted Star Trek movie failure syndrome. The joke being that all odd numbered Star Trek movies suffered from high levels of suck while the even numbered movies were pretty decent, so many are expecting that D&D 4E will suck along the lines of AD&D 2E.

Hmmm, I’m not quite sure where Original D&D (OD&D the white box stuff) and Basic D&D (BECM D&D) fit in. I never played OD&D, and I loved BECM D&D.

But anyway, plenty of new bits of information have been released, mostly about the new preview book relating to changes, but not much in the way of crunch.

It appears that humans now have a homeland in the plains (like dwarves do with mountains, and elves do with forests). That’s no real change to me, but it’s nice to see them come out and say it. But increasing the height of halflings, moving their homelands from hilly plains to rivers, and making them more like kender than hobbits just doesn’t set well with me. Kender need to stay on Krynn while true halflings are just hobbits with a different name so the Tolkien family won’t sue but we still get to play them.

My preparations for Rappan Athuk are coming along well. After rereading part of the rather large wilderness encounter additions to the areas surrounding the dungeon I decided to just do my own encounters while leaving enough open in case I want to add some of the stuff back in.

I’m better with encounters I plan myself anyway, at least as long as I prep up fully. I did “borrow” some of the ideas I read.

I’m probably going to keep the dragon stuff in.

Plus it allows Rappan Athuk to be the hack-n-slash dungeon it was meant to be while I supply the kind of role-playing I’m more comfortable with outside the dungeon (I doubt I could do well with the Krrka-tink encounter, even though I like it) and I can more readily scale the wilderness encounters to match the party’s strength.

The village itself just needs a few tweaks and it’s done. I just have to tie in some of the new wilderness information to the existing information, give some of the NPC’s a little more information, and then create a map of the village and the surrounding areas.

That’s all for now.
Hopefully I’ll get another entry in before the end of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home