Friday, November 30, 2007

More Blah Blah Blah

Right now I’m just doing a blog entry for the sake of doing one.

I’m ready to get back to gaming.

I’m really missing those 6 hours on Friday nights more with every passing week.

But the babies aren’t quite ready for it. They are still very needy, and oh so grumpy in the evening.

The signs are showing that it’s getting better. They’re no longer little lumps of screams, more like interactive lumps that scream with an occasional smile. In another month they’ll be ready for college, or at least be able to be out of your arms for a few moments while you do something simple (like eat a hot meal).

When the New Year hits, my wife will be going back to work part time, and I’ll get my Friday evening D&D back. That doesn’t sound like a fair trade when I put it like that, but I’ll be doing solo duty taking care of the babies for an evening or two a week, and most of the day Saturday. That evens things out quite a bit.

By then the babies will be much more interactive and easier to entertain, but it can still be very stressful. They can go from content and happy to nuclear meltdown in a matter of moments. How my wife handles it as well as she does is beyond me.

It’s not like it’s all bad, check out my wife’s blog to see the positive side of having babies. I’m a guy, so I’m not allowed to be positive.

News on the 4E side appears to be increasing a bit.

There seemed to be an information blackout for awhile, but if there was one it ended this week. I’m guessing it has something to do with their release of that races and classes book for $20.

Ballsy move there WotC – making us pay $20 for what is effectively a 96-page advertisement for 4E. But geeks being geeks, we will probably shell out the money for it.

Dragonborn (dragon-men, but not Dragonlance draconians) are going to be a new PC race in the PHB it seems. And I’m happy to say that dragonborn will be the first 4E race I’ll disown. Another blow strikes to the remaining positive opinion of 4E I have.

I was expecting them to make orcs a PC race, considering how prevalent and varied they can be. I honestly thought half-orcs were out and orcs were in.

Maybe there’s a pattern here. Every D&D edition with an even number is going to suck (2E, 4E).

Yeah, I’m beating a dead horse, and I don’t hate the entirety of 4E. But the new bad ideas seem to be outnumbering the good ones.

What’s really going to suck is if we decide that 4E sucks and don’t play it (or stop playing it) then that puts us in a bind when trying to find new players, because the chance is pretty high that they’ll be playing 4E – unless at least half of D&D players think 4E blows.

If 4E does blow that much, I’ll probably just take the good bits of 4E and toss them into 3.5 to help fix the problems that game has.

Then we’ll have 3.75E, 4E without the fluffed up crap.

I also read a little something about the paladin’s 4E smiting. At first level they get to do their normal smiting, and then give a bonus to the AC of an ally for a round.

While most people might see that as a good thing, I see it as yet another little thing to add to the growing list of “things to remember” during a combat.

So while you’re remembering your AC bonus, don’t forget any bonuses you might be getting from Bless, Prayer, Haste, Protection from Evil, your magic armor, your magic weapon, that mysterious necklace around your neck, the Stoneskin cast on you a minute ago, and your Ring of Protection +3.

As of right now I’m creating a -5 to +5 scale.
Assuming I remember, each blog entry I will list my current feelings on 4E.
0 = “eh”
+5 = “Gotta havit now!”
-5 = “Mary, Bring me my hunting rifle please. It’s time to hunt some WotC’s!”

4E crunch (mechanics)
1
The promises are still holding up my hope, but the revealed bits are dragging it down.

4E fluff
-4
Dragonborn, Forgotten Realms rewrite, anime powers, and so on = not my D&D.

Man, it’s a good thing I’m not running a game tonight.
TPK city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home