Saturday, February 12, 2005

Links and such (again).

Update 2/15/05: A few people have e-mailed me, so I've added a couple people and their new links to blogs & sites.

I'm playing some online texas hold'em (doing so-so), and I figure it's time to update the links I've put on here previously. (Update: I did good for about an hour, then, as always, I played crazy and paid the price.)

Originally I predicted that every month the number of groups playing the WLD would be cut in half. It's been several months since the relase of the WLD, and the number of blogs being kept up to date is probably down to the lowest it's going to get for awhile. It's kind of at an equilibrium; every new blog created replaces one that has been ignored, aborted, or forgotten.

They die off for many of reasons. The biggest is that gamers are not exactly a focused lot. In high school, I remember starting a new game every month, if not more often. There's one blog out there that has only its first post.

Reason #2: Groups got slaughtered early on. There's a blog out there that got TPK'd (Total Party Killed) on their 2nd session.

Reason #3: Boredom. So far, every region needs some tailoring to your liking, and I've said before that region A needs some more adjustment than the rest.

Reason #4: A pure dungeon crawl of this size is draining. Although similar to the first reason, it's not the same. Roll-playing in the WLD is high, but role-playing is taking a hit. I'm trying to fit in as much as reasonably possible for my DM'ing style, but it is still much less than normal. (Hooray for the northern half of region E.)

Reason #5: People think that no one is reading the blog. That's a big one to me. Everyone who's read this baby from early on know that I almost stopped updating it because I thought only the people in the group & people I talk to were reading it.

On that note, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to say "Hey."
In order I received them:
- Mark B. - An old high school friend. He can attest to the lack of focus way back when.
- Orc Drew - Drew gamed in this group for a little over a year. He eventually moved to Toledo to go to law school. The blog helps him keep in touch.
- David S. - DMing his own group through the WLD
- Darryl S.
- Ethan E.
- Snowrider - Going through the WLD as well
- Kevin B. - A local gamer that was going through the WLD before that game fell apart
- Galahad67 - Should be starting thw WLD soon
- Marcel P. - A Canadian DM running the WLD
- Jeff D.
- Sean S. - Yet another WLD DM
- Chris F. - Going to be starting another WLD game soon.
- Andrew T.
- Anonymous
- Dennis D. - he also sent me a link to his website, The Lands of Kray
- Cliff S. - He gave me a link to a Forgotten Realms community site: http://www.masterao.com/
- David H. - He's also running the WLD, and he's made some revisions to the plot line.
- Matt L. - Another WLD blog writer at http://www.wldwinnipeg.blogspot.com/

Thanks to you all. Comments help keep me going on this baby. You can leave them on the blog itself or e-mail them to seannester@hotmail.com

Now for the links.
Some of them will be repeats from the first links entry. There will be a couple of new ones. But for now, all of the links to blogs are generally up to date.

First off my favorite of the role-playing blogs.
Spike's Journal
The author definitely has his jaded rogue shtick down pat.

Next, twofalls (a.k.a James B.) and his
The Sanguine Sentinels
This group has put their WLD game on hiatus, but twofalls still keeps his feet in the WLD world. He also will be playing a game of Federation & Empire. That's a game I haven't played in so long and probably won't be able to ever again. But I'd sure like to.

What Would Gary Do?
This blog is an incredibly active play-by-post WLD game. Since they're pretty much doing a room or so a day, they're pretty far along.

RPGMP3
Probably the largest of all the blogs to the WLD. If you have the internet speed, you can listen to every single session they've had. I've personally listened on the first 3 hours (time and such). But their website is pretty sweet. Eventually I'll catch up on their sessions.

San Diego's Role-Playing Resource
They don't play that often, but the blog/journal is active, and their website has quite a bit in it that is non-WLD.

Adventuring journal of yet another group traversing the World's Largest Dungeon
A group of young players (I think), who just started playing.

http://joe069.freestarthost.com/Dungeon.htm
Another new blog for the WLD.

And by personal request:
http://sites.rapidus.net/laurpaul/wld.htm
It appears to be a WLD site in french with some english bits. (I'm suspecting they're french-canadian).

If I've missed an actively updated blog, let me know. I'll put in here.

Here's a list of general links that I feel the need to show:

http://www.hoodyhoo.com/
Some animated early strips of Knights of the Dinner Table

Dark Dungeons
It is hard for me to hide my disdain of the psychofundamentalists. So I stopped trying. Jack Chick is totally out of his mind. He actually believes the crap he put in this "Chick Track". So many more things to say...but I must...control...myself. This a gaming blog, not a springboard for me and my soapbox.

The Gamers
You can watch a clip of the movie "The Gamers". Every gamer geek must watch this movie once.

ENWorld
An excellent forum for all things rpg. They have rules on their forums they actually enforce. In other words, the standard flamers and jerks aren't welcome.

Kenzer & Co.
The makers of Knights of the Dinner Table.

The Order of the Stick
An online web comic that is D&D based.

Dork Tower
An online webstrip that is gamer geek based.

PVP Online
An online webstrip that is PC gamer geek based (but not excluded to that alone).

Wil Wheaton dot Net
A blog written by Wil Wheaton (a.k.a. Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: TNG). For those who don't know, he has a column in Dungeon magazine (last page).

And finally, the story about the Head of Vecna

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I would like if you can add a link to my website, even if it is in french.

http://sites.rapidus.net/laurpaul/wld.htm

My name is Marcel Paul.

1:47 PM  
Blogger BlueBlackRed said...

Done!
:)

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home