Friday, December 30, 2005

Downtime

Ok, I'm just killing some time at work, since it's a slow week here for once.

As I've said before, I like to add something more than simply session entries.
But right now I'm kind of out of ideas.

I thought about putting some kind of gaming biography of myself. But after I typed it out, edited it, re-edited it, forgot about it, remembered it, and edited it one final time, I came to the conclusion that it was not something I wanted to put on the blog. It came off as a little spiteful and a little arrogant. And unless I also had a bio for everyone else in the group, this blog was not the right place for my bio alone.

I like that people read about our sessions. It means that the amount of work I put into the blog and we put into the game isn't for nothing.

But I am so ready for this campaign to come to a conclusion. I think the whole group may have similar feelings. But we've come so far and are so close to the end that quitting would be like giving up on a marathon when you can see the finish line.

It is for sure the longest campaign I've run.
And I'm pretty sure it is the first campaign that any of us in the group have had a character go from level 1 to level 18.
The farthest I've gotten before is level 14 with my own characters. If we had characters of higher level than that, it was because we started at a higher level.

And here's a bit of a kicker when you're a DMing the WLD at this point in the module.
If there's a TPK because I goofed, then I killed a 15 month long campaign.
But if I make the last sessions a cake walk for them, then why bother finishing at all? I should just open up the exit to the dungeon and put a sign up saying "Exit this way".

So basically I have to tread carefully when planning a session out.

And this pretty much what I have been doing for the last month; setting up this one fight.
The final fight of region N will be the biggest one I've done for the WLD, and possibly for all of my gaming life.
It will tax every single one of us as players.

I didn't want to use the original setup because it would be too complicated. So I simplified it and added my own ideas to it. I believe I've kept to the original spirit of it though.

The final fight of region N is designed to be the fight for the whole dungeon.

I just hope the in the end, I have done the WLD justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home