Friday, September 26, 2014

5E Here We Come!

Our group is officially returning to D&D.

Aaron will be running the kickoff campaign, and I believe it will be Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

It appears it will initially just be Dale and I as players, but that’s fine. I’ve put notes on internet forums and we’re looking at alternative options to get new players.

If we have to play 2 PCs a piece, so be it. It’ll give us a chance to learn the classes and races a bit quicker.

Nonetheless, we’re returning to D&D.

Will 5E fix everything that 4E ruined for us?
I doubt that. It’s too tall of an order, but so far the general consensus I’m getting from players of it is that D&D is “fixed”.

We’re hoping that D&D will return being fun and not a miniatures wargame like 4E was and what we as a group allowed 3E turned into.

My biggest hope for 5E to fix is combat speeds, at all levels, and the removal of the 5 minute adventuring day (or 15 depending on who you ask).
I’ve read that there are a few hiccups in game where PC power and monster defenses cause for longer fights, but I severely doubt it will be as bad as 4E was at any level.

Note: Five minute adventuring day will be known hence as “5mad”.

With shorter combats the return of the random encounters to the game will ruin the 5mad.

As for PCs, I don’t know exactly what I’ll make. I’ve narrowed down the list of combinations to five.
LG Hill Dwarf Cleric of War with the soldier background
NG Wood Elf Cleric of Life with the acolyte background
CG Wood Elf Archer Ranger with the noble background (the snootiest elves of all)
CN Half-orc Two-weapon Ranger with the survivalist background
CG Half-elf Wild Sorcerer with the folk hero background

Dale says he is going to make a tiefling infernal pact fire warlock. (Say that ten times fast.)
He doesn’t have the PHB yet, so he may not be able to do it.

We may end up making two PCs each, unless we get more players soon, which is in the works.

FYI, trying to get new players that meet our requirements (they have to be human and have reliable transportation) is a bit hard.

We might start playing tonight, I don’t know.

Aaron played in a pickup game a few days ago so he has a basic grasp of the rules.
I’ve only played in a beta test game, which probably means nothing.
Dale has played nothing of 5E.

If we play tonight, maybe I’ll have a write up soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home