Monday, May 07, 2007

Ravenloft #4

We learned a couple lessons in particular for this session, and only one of them has anything to with the game.

Lesson #1 – Do not, under any circumstance, look at whatever picture Justin wants to show you on his cellphone. You will regret it.

Lesson #2 – The easiest way to get treasure in Ravenloft is to let an NPC join you. Their death is almost guaranteed, and then you loot their bodies. We didn’t use this tactic this session, but it’s certainly an option.

Everyone attended this session.

And a quick correction, the Tome of Strahd is where the river flies, not the sun-sword.

We started the game where we left off, early evening of our fourth day in Barovia. Some of us got some early rest before the wolves returned, while others chose to look around the higher locations of the church of Lathander for the sun-sword. Something in the Madame Eva’s readings for the sun-sword talked about looking for it where the faithful reach to the sky. Nothing was in the church’s steeple or rafters.

As expected the wolves returned for their nightly serenade. We still have a -1 to Will saves thanks to those wolves. We discussed Kelvin just looking outside and nuking the wolves from a safe point, but he refused on the grounds that he isn’t into suicide missions. Maybe later he’ll change his mind.

After sleeping in the next morning, we went back into town to get some information about where the local waterfall was located and to find out about the highest locations in Barovia. A short while later we were back on the road to the Tser Waterfalls.

We also found out that the highest location in Barovia is the tower of Castle Ravenloft. When we clarified it to the highest natural point in Barovia we were told it would be the foundation stone of Castle Ravenloft. Sheesh, it’s like this whole module was to get us to go Castle Ravenloft, heh.

Another bit of information - there are three shrines out there that may contain clues or other things of interest that we should check out.

It’s like the town is just begging to be taken over by undead. A whole town full of superstitious but non-religious people who refuse to burn their dead. M…O…O…N; that spells dumbasses.

A mile or so down the road and the road split, with a signpost pointing the way to the waterfalls. But a shout from the nearby graveyard got our attention.

A man clad in dark armor, with a raven helping him, was fighting some wraith-like creatures in broad daylight. It took only a couple of rounds for the holy fireball blasting clerics took out all but one of the wraith-things. Those “holyballs” are broken in our opinion, but oh well – that’s how the module has changed turning.

He introduced himself as Sir Uric, the last Knight of the Raven. He thanked us for the help and told us of his mission (fight evil, hurt Strahd, etc.) and we told him of ours. He offered to join up but we declined and told him about Grevan’s task about getting the church of Lathander back into shape.

Yet another NPC’s life we saved by not letting him join us.

Further down the road, along the river and not too far from the waterfall we came across a pack of wolves just watching us. Mina cast Detect Evil and the wolves (actually worgs) tested positive, so we killed them.

It didn’t happen just like that, but the only real damage we had was from Tenbeers stepping into a bear trap and Deimos being the lone combatant out front and got tore up a little bit. Kelvin seems to be specializing in transposition spells, so he was able to get both of them out of their particular situation, but Tenbeers did have to switch to ranged attacks because he was afraid he’d step into another bear trap and didn’t feel like searching around.

After healing up and having Ian search everywhere along our path out to 60’ for traps, we moved on and finally found the waterfall.

As expected, there was a cave behind the waterfall, and of course we went in.

In D&D I’m fairly sure that 90% of all waterfalls have a cave behind them, and 100% of caves are inhabited by monsters.

We found several stuffed mammals (animals, were-creatures, and later a human) in the various poses, but two of them weren’t actually stuffed. A feral looking dwarf and his pet wolf were waiting for one of us to cross a rope bridge before they attacked us.

The wolf was pretty much a temporary target while the dwarf was a potential nightmare, but Dale was back to his less then painful hit rolls. The dwarf wielded an axe in each hand and had two attacks with each which could potentially tear one of us apart a round. Having to cross a bridge that would draw attacks of opportunity didn’t help either.

But he’s amongst the dead now. After the usual healing up and checking for diseases, we searched the cave and found a few items of interest, like a stuffed human in and adventurer’s pose (he had a wedding ring with his wife’s name) and the dwarf had a tooth necklace that Tenbeers put on (probably a bad idea). But most importantly we found the Tome of Strahd.

After checking it for magic and traps, but not evil, we read it.

Unfortunately the story in the book sounded a little too familiar to me. I read the book “I, Strahd” about a decade ago. That means I might have some information that could ruin the fun, so when it comes to those potential storylines I will be keeping my mouth shut. Or I could just tell the group what I remember, and can just chalk that up to Kelvin’s intelligence of 19 (17+2 from magic headband).

From the Tome of Strahd –

I am The Ancient, I am The Land. My beginnings are lost in the darkness of the past. I was the warrior, I was good and just. I thundered across the land like the wrath of a just god, but the war years and the killing years wore down my soul as the wind wears stone into sand.All goodness slipped from my life; I found my youth and strength gone and all I had left was death. My army settled in the valley of Barovia and took power over the people in the name of a just god, but with none of a god's grace or justice.
I called for my family, long unseated from their ancient thrones, and brought them here to settle in the castle Ravenloft. They came with a younger brother of mine, Sergei. He was handsome and youthful. I hated him for both.

From the families of the valley, one spirit shone above all others. A rare beauty, who was called "perfection", "joy", and "treasure." Her name was Tatyana and I longed for her to be mine. I loved her with all me heart. I loved her for her youth. I loved her for her joy. But she spurned me! "Old One" was my name to her - "elder" and "brother" also. Her heart went to Sergei. They were betrothed. The date was set. With words she called me "brother," but when I looked into her eyes they reflected another name - "death." It was the death of the aged that she saw in me. She loved her youth and enjoyed it. But I had squandered mine. The death she saw in me turned her from me. And so I came to hate death, my death. My hate is very strong; I would not be called "death" so soon. I made a pact with death, a pact of blood. On the day of the wedding, I killed Sergei, my brother. My pact was sealed with his blood.

I found Tatyana weeping in the garden east of the chapel. She fled from me. She would not let me explain, and a great anger swelled within me. She had to understand the pact I made for her. I pursued her. Finally, in despair, she flung herself from the walls of Ravenloft and I watched everything I ever wanted fall from my grasp forever. It was a thousand feet through the mists. No trace of her was ever found. Not even I know her final fate. Arrows from the castle guards pierced me to my soul, but I did no die. Nor did I live. I became undead, forever.I have studied much since then. "Vampyr" is my new name. I still lust for life and youth, and I curse the living that took them from me. Even the sun is against me. It is the sun and light I fear most. But little else can harm me now. Even a stake through my heard does not kill me, though it holds me from movement. But the sword, that cursed sword that Sergei brought! I must dispose of that awful tool! I fear and hate it as much as the sun.

I have learned much, too, about this land of Barovia. Ancient are its ways, ancient beyond the knowledge of the simple folk of the valley. I have walked the ancient ways, secret roads linking three fanes of might, and I have become the land.

Three ancient saints dwelt in this valley long before my coming, and three hidden fanes still give tribute to their memories. I visited the Swamp Fane, the Forest Fane, and the Mountain Fane, and claimed their power for my own. Thus I solidified my grasp on this dim shadow of life.

I made the fanes my own, and I have become the Land. Also I made the fane-servants my own, and they serve me as once they served the saints of the fanes.
I have often hunted for Tatyana. I have even felt her within my grasp, but she escapes.
She taunts me! What will it take to bend her love to me? I now reside far below Ravenloft. I live among the dead and sleep beneath the very stones of this hollow castle of despair. I shall seal shut the walls of the stairs that none may disturb me.

After that we grabbed the bodies and burned them at dusk behind the waterfall (to make it not so obvious where we were sleeping).

Then we rested there (sans the wolves), leveled up (some of us), and called it a night.

Updated list of clues and thoughts:
- We have three more places of interest, the shrines. That means three more fights.
- The fights we’ve had so far are either really easy or really tough. Since the module is written for 4 PC’s, we’re taking the early things down easier but we’re getting only two-thirds the XP. Eventually this will be a self-correcting problem when the math catches up to us and all the fights are harder because we’re 2 levels too low.
- I’m curious as to why the crazed dwarf taxidermist had the Tome of Strahd in the first place.
- I’m disappointed with the writers of the module to not change the storyline enough to make Strahd’s background new, or at least not make it so integral to the story (or at least that’s how it seems to me). I now know why a few things have happened, but won’t state them here. If you’ve read “I, Strahd” or even seen Bram Stoker’s Dracula, you probably know who Tatyana is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home